Sushi is a deliciously tasty Japanese food consisting of cooked vinegared rice combined with other ingredients and finally served with pickled ginger, wasabi and tamari.
Sushi is also incredibly flexible in that you can really include whatever ingredients you wish. Commonly included fillings are cucumber, avocado and mayonnaise with some may choose to add marinated tofu or seitan and soy based meats.
|Servings:||8 sushi rolls||Prep Time:||45 Minutes||Cook Time:||15 Minutes|
Ingredients for the Delicious Vegan Sushi
- 3 cups of white rice
- 1-2 tbsp of rice wine vinegar or sushi seasoning liquid
- 1 tin of vegan duck (or vegan meat filling of your choice)
- 4 tbsp cornflour
- Olive oil
- 1 avocado, sliced thin lengthways
- 1 carrot, sliced thin lengthways
- 1 cucumber, sliced thin lengthways
- Vegan mayonnaise
- 1 packet of premium quality nori sushi sheets
- 1/2 cup rice malt syrup
- 1 tbsp teriyaki or soy sauce
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- Pickled ginger
- Wasabi paste
- Tamari sauce
Steps for Making the Delicious Vegan Sushi
- Drain the vegan duck and rinse with water in a strainer. Use some paper towel to soak up any liquid and pat dry.
- In a bowl, coat the vegan duck well in cornflour. Heat the olive oil in a fry pan until hot and carefully add the vegan duck pieces in. Cook for approximately 5 minutes turning to ensure thoroughly cooked on each side.
- Once cooked, remove from heat and place the pieces onto paper towel to dry. As it cools down, it will go crispy.
- Meanwhile, in a small sauce pan, heat the special sauce ingredients on low heat until it simmers for 1 minute. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Next, put the rice on in a rice cooker and begin preparing the sushi fillings by slicing up the avocado, carrot and cucumber.
- By the time you’ve cut up all the fillings and the vegan duck has cooled, the rice should be ready. Open the lid of the rice cooker, drizzle the rice wine vinegar over the rice and mix until coated using a spatula.
- Place a nori sushi sheet on top of a bamboo mat, layer it with rice leaving a little bit of space at the top, spread a line of mayonnaise and special sauce in the middle and then layer across with fillings. Check out this video on how to roll sushi
- Repeat for all remaining ingredients, you should be able to roll about 8 sushi rolls with this amount.
- Using a very sharp knife, carefully cut the sushi rolls into individual sushi pieces. Serve with wasabi and tamari sauce.